Canadian RV Regulations

Canada / US Border FAQs

We are planning a trip to the US; do you have any advice about crossing the US border? Any special documentation required for our trailer? Any specific websites to obtain any necessary information?
Contact US officials to determine the requirements and if there is any special documentation that you require for your specific circumstances. Generally you need appropriate personal documentation for identification and ownership information for your trailer. Other links that you may find useful for your travels is the Canada Border Services Agency at

Regulations for RVs FAQs

Could you tell us where to look on your website for weight restriction information or where else to look to get this information?
We do not have information on weight limits or restrictions on the web site. Provinces usually put weight restrictions on the roads when there is a possibility of damage to the road due to frost leaving the ground usually in the Spring. The restrictions are usually temporary. You will need to contact the jurisdictions in which you will be traveling to find out about any restrictions and for how long they will be in place.

What is the maximum length (camping trailer) allowed in campgrounds?
The maximum length in campgrounds is determined by the campground operator; however, they can usually handle any vehicle that is legal on Canadian roads and highways. The RV dealers’ web site has information on vehicle lengths allowed on Canadian roads and highways.

I would like to know if one can drive a RV with a standard European permit in all provinces and territories or if a special permit is necessary (according to the weight of the vehicle).
Most provinces recognize European licences and will allow visitors to Canada to use a regular driver’s licence to operate an RV on a rental basis. The rules are different if a person is going to be using his own RV whether imported or purchased in Canada. You will need to check with the provincial authorities for a specific ruling on the acceptability of your licence. The RVs which can be rented are generally of a weight that does not cause a concern that might require a special licence.

New Recreational Vehicles are required to meet the CAN/C.S.A.-Z240 Standard for RVs – Series M99 not Series M86. What is the nature of this change? Is this possible to consult this Standard, to know what is the difference?
The Standard was updated in 1999 to reflect new processes and current Standards. The name of the Standard is CAN/C.S.A. Z240 Standard for Recreational Vehicles – Series M99. To compare the differences you will need a copy of both Standards which may be purchased from C.S.A. International, The 1986 publication may no longer be published so unless you have a copy you may not be able to do the comparison that you desire. A vehicle cannot be retrofitted to adjust to the new Standard as the requirements of the Standard must be incorporated into the unit at the time of manufacture.

Being new to RVing in Canada, is it permissible to camp overnight on the highway i.e., can you pull off the main highway and stay overnight at a suitable location which is not obstructing passing traffic?
Most jurisdictions in Canada do not allow the type of overnight. If it is allowed it will only be in Rest Areas and then only if it is posted that it is permissible to do so.