- 2 duck breasts
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons baby back rib sauce
- Optional: Red wine or duck jus for deglazing (about 1/4 cup)
- Start by scoring the skin of the duck breasts. Use a sharp knife to make diagonal cuts across the skin, being careful not to cut into the meat. This will help render the fat and create a crispy skin.
- Season the duck breasts generously with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Place a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and let it melt completely.
- Once the butter is melted and begins to sizzle, add the duck breasts to the pan, skin-side down. Allow the duck breasts to cook for about 6-8 minutes, or until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Flip the duck breasts using tongs and sear the other side for an additional 4-6 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Adjust the cooking time according to your preferred level of doneness.
- Remove the duck breasts from the pan and transfer them to a cutting board to rest.
- In the same pan, add the minced garlic and sauté it in the remaining butter and duck fat for about a minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the baby back rib sauce and let it cook for an additional minute, allowing the flavors to combine.
- Optional: Deglaze the pan with red wine or duck jus by pouring it into the hot pan and using a spatula to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Cook for a few minutes until the liquid reduces slightly and forms a flavorful sauce.
- Slice the rested duck breasts diagonally into thick slices.
- Serve the pan-seared duck slices on a platter, drizzled with the baby back rib sauce-infused butter from the pan. You can also pour the optional sauce over the top if desired.
- Garnish as desired and serve immediately.
By using baby back rib sauce instead of thyme, you’ll introduce a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to the dish, creating a delicious fusion of flavors with the pan-seared duck. Enjoy your modified pan-seared duck with the tasty addition of baby back rib sauce!